Tuesday, January 1, 2008

One Application Per Applicant

As one of my last acts in 2007, I submitted my Harvard and Wharton applications yesterday. And then promptly ended up at what turned out to be an awesome party in DC.

The day after, as I re-hydrate my system with detoxifying fluids (whatever that means), I feel an overwhelming sense of relief at having finally submitted. I also feel like penning a thought I had since the past few days as I spent re-positioning essays.

Why can't we have a unified system of applications? Here's how: there would be one set of essays across schools; applicants must pick which ones to write depending on the schools they target, and the message they want to position. There could be a set of 10 essays, and applicants can choose say 5 of those. Applicant picks what schools to apply to, and dispatches the same essays to all those schools (perhaps with an additional essay describing why that school).

Clearly the applicant stands to gain. Countless hours spent re-positioning the same content for different schools could be utilized to introspect. This would make for more focused essays, more/better reflection on career goals and hence (hopefully) a better business school experience. By forcing the applicant to choose one message, schools get a true picture of what a candidate really is, taking the guesswork out of the entire 'fit' question. And that is precisely what schools stand to gain.

Also, this might likely reduce the number of applicants applying to each school. Enforcing the one message policy would reduce simultaneous applications to schools with very different cultures (Eg Wharton and Tuck. Sorry, but I fail to understand how an applicant could be a perfect fit for both Wharton and Tuck). A lower, more focused application volume would make the selection process easier for Admissions Officers.

Now lets do some math. Take the average MBA applicant, Mr Joe Hopeful.

  • Mr Hopeful applies to 4 schools, lets say he's a first timer, and applies in R2.
  • 16 essays total (Mr Hopeful does not have extenuating circumstances). Let's say 7 of those are similar which means they almost count as one. That makes 10 unique, non-reusable essays.
  • Each essay takes Mr Hopeful 10 hours to think about, write and review.
  • His reviewers spend an additional 10 hours in total.
  • Plus another 10 hours that he takes to write the online details for 4 schools.
  • Plus 5 hours that he spends creating content for his two recommenders, who in turn each spend five hours on Mr Hopeful's recommendation.
  • Add it all up: 100+10+10+5+10 = 135 manhours spent on Mr Hopeful's MBA application.

Now lets take our system.
  • Mr Hopeful must write a set of 5 essays.
  • Even if he spends 12 hours on each, thats 60 hours.
  • Plus 5 (reviewers)
  • Plus 2 (online application details)
  • Plus 3 (creating content for recommenders)
  • Plus 10 hours spent by the recommenders themselves.
  • That adds up to 80 hours.
Hence:
  • Time saved: 55 manhours per Mr Hopeful.
  • There are 175,000 Mr Hopefuls that apply each year. (Source: GMAC Annual Report)
  • Total time saved: 9625000 manhours.
  • Which is roughly the work that an 1100 person team can get done working 24 hours a day for a year. And this is just for full-time programs MBA programs.

My numbers may be off, but you get the point.

I'm sure that this has been discussed by schools before - so what holds back a unified admission system?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you will see an increase in apps if you go through this idea. I know I might not be a great 'fit' for some schools, but if it is only going to cost me $250 in application fee, I might as well apply and take a shot. So I would apply to ALL the schools that let me do so.

Anyways- as an FYI, the consortium lets you apply to a wide range of schools through a single app. Thats probably the closest process out there to the one you just described.

JulyDream said...

Very interesting idea. IMO, I would keep the separate essay questions. Granted, it's a lot of work, but I believe that the essay questions tell you a little about the school to which you are applying. Some of my favorite essays were the ones that were the most off the wall and difficult to write. They made me think! And in the end, I liked the school that much more.

I would vote for a common application so we don't have to fill out the damn form a billion times though. :)

Janet Nakano said...

Although, it would make things a lot easier for applicants, I can't imagine the bschools going for it. They are really concerned with the uniqueness of their school (their brand) and always emphasize to applicants to write "school-specific" essays.

But I agree, things would be a lot easier and energy would be spent more efficiently!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Dont touch WIKILEAKS, faked DEMOCRACY!!!
Thank for all