Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Closure

After quite a long break, I return to my blog again. It's been almost 2 months, I'm knee deep in the application process. While I'm writing essays at full tilt, I also am perplexed by a question which is the topic of my post today.

I shall present two arguments, and invite comments from fellow bloggers (to whom I promise, that I shall write more often).

Writing essays is an iterative process. It's like sculpting - you start with a flat slab, and then shape it, chiselling away until what remains is what you want and only what you want. Write a draft, and then leave it. The next day, hack it, turn it upside down, and add new content. Come back to the third day, and add a fitting opening and conclusion, make some more changes, and so on. By extension, the quality of essays becomes directly proportional to the number of revisions it goes through. It is therefore a no-brainer that the best time to submit an essay is after the most revisions you can make to it (assuming you do not lose steam or burnout and all that). Which would be right before the deadline (or a day before the deadline, if you are scared of server malfunction). To this end, there is no closure.

On the other hand, I also feel that closure comes when you know you cannot do any better. Closure is not a defined, clearly visible destination that you can say you are at a certain distance from. Closure is a state of mind - you know it when you are at it. Closure is when you (or your reviwers) are truly satisfied with your work - what you say represents what you are and what you want to be. It may come within a few revisions, it may come right before the deadline, or it may be elusive, and you could continue to feel something's amiss despite having submitted. In short, closure is when you know it. Conversely, when you know it, you know it's time to click submit. That the deadline is 3 weeks away notwithstanding.

Closure is relative. What is your closure?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, you're back.. guess what? I'm back too.. LOL. Been missing for awhile now.

Anyway, yes, I find it very hard to bid farewell to my essays. I don't know how to let go. Yet, I know that January is approaching quickly and well I have to manage to give final closure to them.

Good luck! For both of us! :-)

e.catharsis said...

Welcome back, VS!

Like everything in life, I think this is about striking a balance. At some point, when I found myself changing words instead of sentences (or examples instead of ideas, when pressed for time), I stopped.

kpmg said...

closure happens when I can't edit it anymore other than minor word edits. And when I feel sick.

But I think sometimes, when you have 3 weeks or more, you need to step back and see if you need to re-write the entire essay. :(

JulyDream said...

Very interesting topic esp. seeing it is quite relevant to essays. As I wrote mine, I spent a lot of time pondering the intricacies of using one word over another, but after the adcom reads hundreds of essays, does it really matter if you use though versus although? Granted, you must consider context, but I hope you get the point. Each time we read an essay, we could probably find a word to omit, a word to change, a phrase we don't like, but I believe you reach a point where you don't or don't want to pay attention to those little things. You feel the essays on their own are complete. (As good as they can be is up to interpretation.) The moment I hit submit is my closure because after that moment I can't change anything. I was even editing after I uploaded and read through my entire application...

vectorSpace said...

Miss curly bee, thank you, and im sure your closure would be well before the deadlines!

B-school bound and wannabe, I agree. It's when you cross the threshold from major to minor is when closure comes for most of us.

Paige - thanks for visiting my blog! I saw yours - you seem to be a veteran blogger. You've hit the nail - "after the adcom reads hundreds of essays, does it really matter if you use though versus although..".

Anonymous said...

For me its always the first option - but the dealine almost always precedes it :-)